Thursday, March 29, 2012

Gajar Halwa (Carrot Pudding)

This Navratri I tried something I have never cooked before..its Gajar Halwa (Carrot Putting). Growing up mom would make Gajar Halwa on every New Years eve and we would wait for everyone to shout "Happy New Year" just so that we could eat this delicious desert.  While cooking the desert we would sit in the kitchen and kept asking mom "Is it ready ?" ....Mom would keep stirring and smile :)... This Navratri I decided to make some myself ...Staying away from home means asking for recipes via long phone calls with mom .....Love the long phone calls with mom ..


There is no way I made this even close to what mom makes but I know she will be proud of me for trying and making our family favorite desert ........

Here is the recipe that I followed

Ingredients

Shredded Carrots - 4 cup
Milk - 4 cup
Sugar - 3 cup
Cardamom powder - 3 tsps
Dry Nuts - 1/2 cup
Ghee( clarified butter) - 3 tsp
Khoya - 1/2 cup

Recipe
1. Heat oil in a pan and saute dry nuts and keep it aside.
2. Heat oil in the same pan and saute carrots for 4 mins.
3. Add milk and let the carrots cook in milk till all milk is evaporated.
4. Add sugar and keep stirring till all carrot and sugar is mixed in well and its all dry.
5 Mix nuts,cardamon powder and khoya and cook for another 2 mins.
6. Most important step - Enjoy with someone you love :)

Did I inspire you enough to make it yourself ? If No .. do not worry I will keep trying via my blog ...:)

I am participating in Indian Food Palooza...an event celebrating Indian Food. so join us and enjoy the recipes from all lovely food bloggers  @ India Simmer

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious! I just pinnned the Indian Food Palooza onto my Hindi Language and Culture Board... can't wait to look through all the links and learn some new Indian Dishes. http://pinterest.com/educatorsspinon/hindi-language-and-culture/

    ReplyDelete